Missouri Foster Care Facts & Figures
Thousands of people across the state of Missouri are impacted by foster care each year. Want to know how? Here are some facts and figures:
- The average length of stay for a Missouri child in foster care is 2 years.
- There are over 68,000 reported incidents of neglect in Missouri last year.
- 19,400 children are in the care of Missouri Children’s Division right now.
- Children in foster care have an average of 3 placements.
- The average age of a foster child is 8-years old.
- Children over the age of 9 are 50% less likely to be adopted than younger children.
- Over 500 kids aged out of the foster care system in Missouri last year without a permanent, legal family.
- More than 7,000 kids enter the Missouri foster care system each year.
- 6,600 kids exit the Missouri foster care system annually by returning home, guardianship or adoption.
- Approximately 1,300 foster care adoptions were finalized in Missouri last year.
All data can be found in the 2015 Missouri Children’s Division Annual Report. For additional data, click here.