Small Ways to Find Happiness
Finding happiness can feel elusive during the pandemic. Though it is not possible to be happy all of the time, there are some things that can help you reduce stress and improve happiness. Below are some practical tips that can minimize the stress and cultivate a sense of joy.
- Acknowledge your feelings. Realize the sadness or grief you feel with not being with loved ones is ok and normal.
- Reach out. Find ways to keep yourself connected. Online support groups, virtual events and community events can offer support and companionship. Video calls, text, calls and sharing videos are all options to keep connected.
- Set aside differences. We are all feeling the stress and roller coaster of emotions of the pandemic. Try putting aside negative feelings until a more suitable time for discussion.
- Stick to a budget. With the pandemic has come financial difficulties in all shapes and sizes. Review your budget and manage money in a way that helps reduce stress.
- Learn to say no. Putting boundaries in place is key to keep a happy balance in everyday life.
- Don’t abandon healthy habits. Get plenty of sleep. Eat healthy snacks to help with over indulgence. Avoid excessive alcohol and drug use. Use healthy coping skills. Overindulgence will only add to the strain and guilt.
- Take a breather. Make sure to take some time for yourself. Taking a break can help refresh and help with clearing your mind and restoring peace. Read a book. Knit. Take a walk.
- Seek professional help if needed. Feeling sad or overwhelmed is still possible even after following these helpful tips. Reach out to your doctor or mental health professional if you are feeling down. LFCS has counselors who can help. Click here to learn more.
January 17-23 is Hunt for Happiness Week. What will you do to find happiness today?