3178 Blattner Drive
Cape Girardeau, MO 63703
573-334-5866 or 1-866-326-LFCS
Click here to email this office
In 1973, Lutheran Family and Children's Services of Missouri (LFCS), a non-profit social services agency, opened a regional office in Cape Girardeau through the initiative of some two hundred interested pastors and individuals in Southeast Missouri. Beginning as an orphanage in 1868, the mission of LFCS was to protect and nurture children without a home. Today the agency continues the mission of helping families, children and individuals in Missouri experience greater hope and wholeness of life. The services provided by LFCS are open to everyone regardless of race, faith, national origin, gender, or age. Over 80% of the clients served are not of the Lutheran faith.
|Assisted Custody Exhcange Program||Wings||Foster Care||Adoption Services||Senior Services||Advocacy||Parenting Classes||Other Services||Events|
Assisted Custody Exchange Program
- Court Ordered.
- Provides a safe environment for children to transfer from their custodial guardian to their non-custodial guardian and back.
- Conducts interviews with each guardian covering present situation, family history, current/past health status, occupational status and social situation.
- Supervised visitations are provided, allowing parents and children to start rebuilding their relationships.
- Comprehensive pregnancy counseling to women and teens experiencing an unplanned or crisis pregnancy. Services are also available to family members.
- Mental Health screening, treatment, and referrals.
- Assistance with community resources that facilitate healthy parenting (medical care, day care, food, housing and utility assistance, etc.).
- Support to complete educational goals.
- Assistance securing employment and job training.
- Aftercare services for birthparents, whether parenting or making an adoption plan.
- On average each year, we serve 350 clients statewide.
- Emergency foster care for children up to age 5 needing a stable, secure environment during a crisis.
- Temporary foster care for parents needing time to make a permanent plan for the child.
- Temporary foster care for children awaiting adoption.
- Each year, we provide foster care services to over 60 children statewide.
- Domestic infant placement and special needs placement.
- Post placement counseling and supervision.
- Home studies for international, independent, and relative adoptions, and for custody and guardianship placements.
- Adoption Power Hour/Informational Meetings, 3rd Tuesday of each month at 6:30 pm. Please call the Southeast office at 573-334-5866 for more information. Flyer (pdf, 173.2KB)
- Statewide, we annually place approximately 180 children in Forever Families" through the adoption program and guardianship services.
- In-home counseling for individuals 55 years or older with referral for psychiatrist in-home visits if needed.
- Support and education for families of individuals with Alzheimer's disease.
- Educational and informational group for seniors.
- Support Group for Caregivers of Alzheimer's patients.
- Memory Loss Group for individuals with advanced memory loss; allows repiste for caregivers
- Memroy Loss Group for early memeroy loss. Individual assessment and consultation provided.
- Annually, we serve approximately 90 seniors and their families in the Southeast Missouri region through the senior services program.
- As part of our Mission, Lutheran Family & Children's Services is called to help families, children and individuals experience greater hope and wholeness of life...and LFCS Advocacy works to help achieve this goal by promoting public education and policy changes.
- Family Wellness is a free 6 session course that teaches families simple rules to live by. Families learn together and practice the patterns and skills common to individuals in healthy families.
- Classes are offered severla times throughout the year, contact the office at 573-334-5866 for more information. Flyer (pdf, 203.56KB)
- Speakers are available for presentations to churches, organizations, and service groups on topics specific to the various services provided in the Southeast Missouri region.