401 West Boulevard North
Columbia, MO 65203
573-815-9955 or 1-866-326-LFCS
Click here to email this office
In 1995, Lutheran Family and Children's Services of Missouri (LFCS), a non-profit social services agency, opened a regional office in Columbia in response to an increasing demand for pregnancy counseling and adoption services in the Mid-Missouri region. Beginning as an orphanage in 1868, the mission of LFCS was to protect and nurture children without a home. Today the agency continues the mission of helping families, children and individuals in Missouri experience greater hope and wholeness of life. The services provided by LFCS are open to everyone regardless of race, faith, national origin, gender, or age. Over 80% of the clients served are not of the Lutheran faith.
|Birth Parent Counseling||Wings||Foster Care||Adoption Services||Abstinence Only Education Program||Advocacy||Other Services||Events|
- Comprehensive pregnancy counseling to women and teens experiencing an unplanned or crisis pregnancy. Services are also available to family members.
- Assistance with community resources that facilitate healthy parenting (medical care, day care, food, housing and utility assistance, etc.).
- Support to complete educational goals.
- Assistance securing employment and job training.
- Aftercare services for birthparents, whether parenting or making an adoption plan.
- Offers child focused, client-centered assistance to families. This includes free counseling, support, education and assessment services to families dealing with an unplanned or crisis pregnancy.
- Professional staff provide information, referral, education and support to pregnant women, and to women who are struggling with parenting.
- Member agency in the Boone County Community Partnership program which provides mentoring services and case management to teen parents. Any young person, up to the age of 22, who is pregnant, parenting, or the partner of someone who is pregnant or parenting is eligible for the program. We anticipate serving 80 youth this year.
- On average each year, we serve approximately 88 birth parent and WINGS clients.
- Emergency foster care for children up to age 5 needing a stable, secure environment during a crisis.
- Temporary foster care for parents needing time to make a permanent plan for the child.
- Temporary foster care for children awaiting adoption.
- Each year, we provide foster care services in the Mid-Missouri region to more than 10 children with an average stay of 40 days.
- Domestic infant placement and special needs placement.
- Post placement counseling and supervision.
- Home studies for international, independent, and relative adoptions, and for custody and guardianship placements.
- In Mid-Missouri, we annually place approximately 15 children through the adoption program and guardianship services. We provide various adoption services to about 59 adoptive families in the Mid-Missouri region.
- Teaches participants that abstinence from sexual activity is the expected norm for all school-age children. Knowing Myself, Relating to Others and Planning My Future are three components of the Sex Can Wait curriculum used in the Abstinence Only program. Offered in either five or ten week sessions.
- As part of our Mission, Lutheran Family & Children's Services is called to help families, children and individuals experience greater hope and wholeness of life...and LFCS Advocacy works to help achieve this goal by promoting public education and policy changes.
- Speakers are available for presentations to churches, service groups, and organizations about the services we provide in the Mid-Missouri region.
Click here to learn more about events benefiting the Columbia region.